Home Resources Tips Divorced - Head of Household
Divorced - Head of Household
I am divorced with one dependent child. This year my ex-spouse will claim the child as an exemption. Does this mean I cannot qualify as head of household?

You can file as head of household even though you do not claim your unmarried dependent child as an exemption if you meet all of the following requirements:  1) You are unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year.   2)You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.  3)  A qualifying person must live with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences such as school).